Guilt-Free Chocolate & Marula Nut Brownies with Baobab Coconut Cream
Vegan & Gluten Free with our own indigenous African EarthTribe flavour (with indigenous Cassava flour, soon to be launched on our online shop! )
Cassava flour is a gluten free, grain free flour made from the whole Cassava root; a starchy tuber that has simply been peeled, dried and ground. This means that it is high in dietary fibre. It is also the most similar alternative to wheat flour out of all the gluten free flours.
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut blossom sugar or jaggery powder
- 2 large flax eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Cassava flour
- Optional Add-Ins: 1/3 cup raw Marula nuts
For the sauce
- 1 – 2 cups coconut cream (canned or homemade), whipped
- 1 tbsp blossom sugar or jaggery powder
- 2 tbsp Baobab powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line 7-8 standard-sized muffin tins with coconut oil Alternatively, fit each with a paper liner.
- Prepare flax eggs in a small bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Put melted coconut oil in a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the flax egg, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine. Lastly, add the Cassava flour, then fold in the Marula nuts
- Scoop batter evenly into 7-8 muffin tins until 3/4 full and bake on the middle rack for 22-26 minutes, or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides and they spring back slightly to the touch. Be careful not to overcook or they will get crumbly. Remove from oven and let rest in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a plate or cooling rack.
- While they are cooking, mix the coconut cream, sugar and Baobab powder in a bowl and place in the fridge. Serve with the warm brownies as a delicious accompaniment.
- Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for a couple days. Freeze for long-term storage.
Buy raw Marula nuts and Baobab superfood powder from our online store. Watch this space for our soon-to-be-launched indigenous African Cassava flour!